Friday, April 22, 2011

Arugula and Pea Salad w/Coconut Vinaigrette


I went on my weekly trip to the farmers market a few days ago and had a wonderful time. The first thing I put in my shopping cart was something that was not even on my grocery list (I don't even know why I bother writing those things).

It was fresh arugula. I had never seen fresh arugula before, with the roots still attached and dirt still dusted over the leaves. It looked like they had just pulled it out of the soil, all for little ole' me.



I could smell it a mile away. That delicious peppery smell. I love arugula. And the best part is that it only cost $0.89 for one bunch. The grocery store charges $4-$5 for a small bag of arugula....and sometimes that's not even for organic. I bought two. I would have bought more because it was so cheap, but I knew I wouldn't be able to eat all of it.

When I got in line to pay for my things, an old lady cut in front of me. And then gave this "Oh I'm a sweet little old lady so you can't get mad at me" kind of smile. I couldn't believe it. And then on top of that, when it was time for her to pay, she started pulling out pennies & nickels and counting them one at a time.

For a brief moment, I thought about ramming her cart. Was I wrong? Probably. But it made me feel better.

But lets not dwell on the past.

On another note, did you know that today is Earth Day?


Honestly, I didn't until someone brought it to my attention. I remember hearing about Earth Day a few times on Nickelodeon when I was younger, but I never payed any attention to the holiday.

I am participating in a "Blog Hop" and this months theme for recipes is "Earth-Friendly Meals in Honor of Earth Day". I researched what are to be considered"environmentally friendly" foods and found out that vegetables such as onions, avocado, cabbage, broccoli, and even peas are all included in this category, due to the low levels of pesticides used.

So in honor of Earth Day, I made an environmentally friendly salad with my organic Arugala, Shell Peas, Snap Peas, and a citrus coconut vinaigrette.

The vinaigrette was very light, and coated the greens and vegetables just enough to add a little flavor, but not overpower the delicate salad. I ate it with a few slices of smoked salmon.



Arugula and Pea Salad with Coconut Vinaigrette

1 bunch (or bag) of arugula, washed
1 cup shelled peas, or frozen peas
1 cup snap peas
ice bath (a bowl with ice and water)
4 cups water
handful granulated sugar
3-4 basil leaves, shredded
1/4 cup coconut milk
juice of 1/2 an orange
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 table spoon coconut oil, or any other oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 oz smoke salmon (optional)

NOTE***it is easiest to place a colander in the ice bath so you don't have to pick out each pea one by one***

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Once water is boiling, add sugar. Add peas to the water and blanch for about 30 seconds t0 1 minute. Remove from water and place in ice bath.

Add snap peas to the boiling water. Blanch for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Place in ice bath. Once cooled, remove colander from ice bath and set aside.

Make the vinaigrette by mixing the coconut milk, orange juice, lime juice, and oil.

Toss the arugula, basil, peas, and snap peas together. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of the vinaigrette onto your salad mixture (depending on how much/little you dressing you like).

Season with salt and pepper. Toss and serve by itself, with smoked salmon, or any other protein you would like.



6 comments:

  1. This recipe is awesome, thanks so much for linking up with my blog hop! I'm extremely jealous that you were able to get such a great deal on fresh arugula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds and looks really good. Sounds perfect for a spring dish. I am planning to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this salad sounds so fresh and yet elegant and delicious. You have beautiful pictures btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a simple and elegant salad. Brilliant for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ellie and Natascha: Thank you. It tastes great with a lemon-dijon vinaigrette too!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...