Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sweet Soy Glazed Scallops w/Roasted Fennel and Baby Vidalia Onions

Edit post
These past two weeks have been so hectic for me. I have barely had time to think about anything else other than work, work, and more work. My business is getting busier. Booked some more clients for my personal chef services. It's so nice being able to help families eat healthy, freshly cooked meals.


No more McDonald's for my clients!

I have finally had some days off. Some time to relax. And you know what I did?

I slept. Slept. And slept some more. I feel so rejuvenated

The weather has been gray and sleepy. Perfect sleeping weather.


I got up early and went to the farmers market to buy some groceries for my clients. While I was there, I saw so many beautiful fruits and vegetables that I had to get something for myself. I found the cutest baby vidalia onions and gorgeous fresh fennel. I thought they would be lovely roasted."



As I'm walking over to the meat section, I pass the seafood, and what do I see?

The biggest, juiciest Sea Scallops I've ever seen. Who could resist?





Not me. I used to hate scallops (Ha! Yet another food I despised. Man I was picky)!

Anyways, I bought some. I was excited to cook them with my roasted vegetables.


I hope you enjoy the recipe. I cook the scallops using a combination of chili oil and sesame oil, but you can use one or the other, or even olive oil. Sweet soy sauce has a distinctively different taste from regular soy sauce, but I know it can be hard to find in grocery stores. I don't know what this recipe will taste like if you try to use regular soy sauce, byt you can definitely try and let me know how it turns out!

Also, I thought about making videos for every post, but it is extremely time consuming! So maybe I will make a video every other post. I am already working on the one for next week.







Sweet Soy Glazed Scallops w/Roasted Fennel and Baby Vidalia Onions
2 servings

Soy Glaze:
2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
1 teaspoon sweet thai chili sauce
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 dash of fish sauce (optional)

Fennel and Vidalia Onions:
1 head of fennel
2 baby vidalia onions
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon whole coriander
2 teaspoons sweet soy sauce
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Scallops:
5-7 Sea Scallops
1 tablespoon chili oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon ground coriander
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Cut the tops of the fennel off, cut in quarters and remove the core. Cut the tops off of the baby vidalia onions, as well of the rough root on the bottom. Cut the onions in half, or quarters (whichever you prefer).

Toss the fennel and onions with the garlic, sweet soy sauce, whole coriander, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.

Heat skillet on medium heat. Make sure the scallops are completely dry. I blotted mine with a paper towel to remove any moisture. The scallops will not get that lovely golden brown crust if they are wet. Season them with ground coriander, salt, and pepper.

Add oil to the pan and sear scallops. Do not move the scallops for at least 1-2 minutes to ensure that they get nicely browned. Turn scallops over and brown the other side. Scallops should be done in about 4 minutes (2 minutes per side), depending on their size. I do not suggest cooking scallops for much longer because they will become tough and chewy.





3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that your photography is astounding the colours are so stunning you can almost see the smell of the food. What a wonderful recipe great work on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment!! I have recently become interested in photography and I want to learn much more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chicken Tikka Masala looks sooo good. I think that I might try it this weekend. I tried your chicken and corn chowder and it was delicious. My family loved it, especially my daughter. Keep cooking.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...